Ambient light sensor

Hi,

I tested the ambient light sensor as I saw in one of Sphero RVR video using my cell phone back light.

My routine is simple I have the RVR say the word Light and move forward and dark then move backward. I use different values for 0 to 30 to compare to the light sensor values. It works fine from 0 to 72" distance above the sensor using different values such as 10 detect light at 72" , 20 detect light at 36 "from the RVR. This test was done with the hood removed

My questions are as follow:

• Are there known values from dark to full light. I cannot use 100,000 lux in my comparison.
  • Would it be possible to see the ambient light values with the sensor values.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Benoit,

In theory, ambient light values go from 0 lux (no light) to 100,000 lux (full sunlight).
However, the max value can only be read when the sensor is facing the direct sunlight, on a bright day, and without being behind a plastic transparent case.
Also, the light sensor on RVR is very directional due to its position.

For your application, I would recommend trying the sensor in different light conditions, such as in a classroom with the lights on, and then off, passing under a projector, etc.

You can then create a test against those values to know which case you are in!

I hope this helps!

Quentin

1 Like

I will give it a shot and get back to you.

Thanks

1 Like