Battery does not charge

I am having problems charging the battery with my RVR. It’s not clear what happens when the charging cable is plugged in.

In my case nothing happens and the battery does not charge. If I play with the cable I can get the blue lights to come on and the last one to start flashing.

Now that does not work either. I have to squeeze the battery in a specific spot to get the light to come on and start flashing indicating the battery is charging. I can only hold it that way for a short time.

Must be a bad solder job at the factory as it has done this from day one. I have only charged the battery twice since I received the product.

Tried several cables and adapters and the lights only come on if a squeeze the battery unit.

Mike

1 Like

I noticed the same thing with only one light coming on. That might just be a mistake, since when I put the battery into the RVR it showed that it was full.

Each LED as it charges blinks until they are all solid. If the LED’s do not come on when you plug in the charging cable then the battery is not charging.

I have it fully charged now and all the LED’s are solid on blue. Don’t know how long I can continue to charge the battery this way.

Mike

1 Like

Hey Mike!

I am so sorry to hear that you’ve been having challenges with your battery. I’m impressed with your creativity and troubleshooting (a true engineer!), but we would also love to make your life easier. If you reach out to support@sphero.com, we should be able to get you a battery that you don’t have to coddle to get it to function :wink:

Thanks for reaching out!!

Kelsey

2 Likes

Is there any info on what the two buttons on the battery are for?
There seems to be no manual or anything available other then the little 4 page getting started with pictographs. Some more detailed manual would be nice to have to get some info on such things. Maybe a more detailed PDF file you can download.

1 Like

The power button on it lights up the blue LED to show how much battery is left, and the little, harder to push one is triggered by a little nub on the door that signals that it is installed in the RVR. Not sure if that answers your questions.

1 Like

Ah yes. Was guessing that one is to check battery level. But was a bit confused on having two buttons. The smaller one looked like it was for something too, but if that is just for a signal that it is installed then that explains it :wink:

1 Like

Emerald_RVR is spot on- the big button tells you the charge level. The little guy actually “turns on” the the battery when it is in the chassis.

One note, the battery will NOT charge if the tiny button is depressed. So if you are having some charge issues, I will start with messing with the tiny button to see if that fixes it. If not, please reach out to support!

Lindsey

3 Likes

Yesss! I’m glad to know my 5 minutes of philosophizing about little buttons (and the few seconds it took me to figure it out.) were not a waste. :grin:

Rule number 1. If you plug the USB cable into the battery and one of the LED’s does not come on and flash the battery is not charging. When all the LEDs are on solid the battery is fully charged.

Mike

1 Like

Thank you Sphero.

I now have a new battery that charges by just plugging the USB cable in.

I also placed a order for some more fun. I also noticed that your battery price is a little high. I know it’s a smart battery and all, but Lithium Ion batteries have come down a lot in the past 5 years. I did see that it is a 5ah battery and I fly drones that use 3s 5ah batteries that are some what larger in size.

Mike

3 Likes