Can RVR back up?

I don’t seem to be able to do this in the EDU app and wondered if there was a way presently to make RVR drive backwards rather than spinning to keep its’ head always forward? Along the same lines, is there a way to reduce the spin speed? I was driving it slowly around our toddler, but found it hard to keep it from doing violent spins if I tried to turn around anywhere near 180 degrees. Or will this be possible in the future?

1 Like

The answer right now is ‘no’ in the Edu app based on this message.

1 Like

Hi @Cobra,

In the driving screen of the EDU app, there is a toggle switch in the bottom right to switch between forward and reverse. If you’re using block programming, when you tap on the speed value in a roll block you’ll see a toggle for direction. You can also input a negative value for the speed and it will drive in reverse.

@rmerriam is correct in saying no, for the time being. As you’ve noticed, the existing RVR control system implementation has a single yaw slew rate, that is, it always rotates at the same target angular velocity. The next firmware update, planned tentatively for Q1 2020, will retire the fixed yaw slew rate (the exact new mechanism is a work in progress) to provide a much smoother driving experience. Please note that this timeline is a rough estimate, and could change.

Jim

2 Likes

Exactly what Jim said, but for driving in reverse, you will find that it simply drives in the direction you move the controller, just with the back facing forward. So you will need to practice a bit to get the hang of driving in reverse.

2 Likes

Thanks all, I see it works now. I thought it was spinning around with both the forward and reverse settings in the app.

1 Like