Controlling the Lights

I’ve started messing with controlling individual lights on the RVR, and have had a lot of fun. When I tried him out last night, I noticed that it has a permanent white light underneath it that is on when a program is running. Is it possible to turn it off? Tt overpowers the other lights and makes it look less cool.

In my work on LED code in C++ I can’t get it to turn on!

1 Like

Hey @Emerald_RVR & @rmerriam!

It sounds like you are referring to the LED used for the color sensor. This LED will be illuminated when the color sensor is enabled (and won’t when it is disabled).

We don’t have color sensing applied in our Arduino C++ SDK yet, but one example of working with that in another of our SDKs can be found here: https://sdk.sphero.com/docs/how_to/raspberry_pi/rp_python_how_to/#color-sensor-color-detection

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

Kelsey

1 Like

But the color sensor was not on when I was using my RVR. I was only controlling the other LED lights, so I was confused as to why it was on.

I was working with the “AllLeds” serial port command. There is a bit for the ‘white’ LED in the list of bits for LEDs. Setting it and a byte didn’t turn it on. But as you indicate, it is part of the color sensor control.

1 Like

Could you let me know what method (EDU App? Which SDK?) you were using to control your RVR so that I can try to reproduce your results?

1 Like

I am using the EDU app, and it was in the evening, so it was dark out. Not sure if the RVR would turn it on when it gets darker or something.

Thank you so much for sharing that information, @Emerald_RVR!

At this point, the Color Sensor LED is always illuminated when running a program in the EDU App. As a temporary solution, you could try taping a piece of paper over the circular window on the bottom of RVR to dull the light so that it stops interfering with your light displays :slight_smile:

Alternatively, there is a nifty option to convert your code to javascript in the App (in the three dots menu, when you are on the editing screen), that you can use to grab the code that is behind the scenes of your program and download it. That program can then be added to a Raspberry Pi and run from there.

As a third option, we are just waiting on Microsoft MakeCode to approve our extension so that people can use MakeCode as another means for using block coding to control RVR. Because micro:bit does not receive information back from the RVR (it just gives it instructions), the color sensor will not turn on when running programs from MakeCode (or Python programs that you write and load onto the micro:bit).

I am sorry that there are no ways to have the Color Sensor LED not be on when running a program from just the EDU app :confused:

We are really looking forward to seeing your creation, though! Please post it on the Show and Tell boards!!

Kelsey

1 Like

That’s fine, I’ve got an abundance of electrical tape which should work perfectly for covering up the light.

1 Like