Device to run only the EDU app

I wonder if you can configure a device to only run the Sphero EDU app and nothing else.

When talking to parents and teachers I often hear the concern that they don’t want to give the kids a full mobile phone or tablet because of all the stuff that can be done with it that is out of control of the parent/teacher. And many parents are also a bit concerned about handing kids a mobile device in general.
Putting the question if this is justified or not it would be amazing if you can get a device or configure a device in a way that it can only run that one app. So when you start it the app opens up and you can’t get out of it back to the main menu of the device (probably adding a special not obvious way with password so parent/teacher can do maintenance stuff like updates). This would make a lot of the arguments parents have moot. And since simple Android tablets have become very inexpensive these days it would open up the world of Sphero for many kids.

So is there a device like that or a way to configure a device in this way that someone knows of? Might also be a nice topic to put in an article.

1 Like

iOS Guided Access provides this facility:

2 Likes

Thanks. But apple products don’t really fall under the inexpensive category. :wink:
Was more looking for an Android solution.

1 Like

I was imagining you would simply purchase one of the multiple “older” version iPads available for sale on eBay (£15-20 for an iPad mini) and similar sites. The joy of Apple Fan boys is they love having the latest, and thus sell the “out of date” but still fully operational devices!

2 Likes

Not familiar with Apple products, can this be done without having to create accounts with them?
That is another issue many people have, that most mobile devices need some account somewhere and in the worst case multiple.

1 Like

It can be done on Android with screen pinning. I think it was introduced in OS 5.0, so should be easy to find a device with support
https://support.google.com/android/answer/9455138?hl=en

You would have to pin that app every time the device is rebooted

2 Likes

While it is possible to Jail Break older iOS devices, it is inadvisable. They become less secure. To download from Apple App Store an Anonymous Identity is required, though not a credit card.

1 Like