Getting Started with RVR and Raspberry Pi tutorial video

RVR RasPi Getting Started Tutorial

This tutorial covers how to get started with setting up Sphero RVR and Raspberry Pi. It covers downloading and installing the Raspberry Pi SDK, setting up SSH, all the wiring connections you will need to make between the Raspberry Pi and RVR, and how to run a simple program.

[Sphero’s RasPi SDK Github:]
(https://github.com/sphero-inc/sphero-sdk-raspberrypi-python)

Written version of this tutorial:

[Download the most recent version of Raspbian here:]
(https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/)

4 Likes

Nice video @Codeman! Can you please share a link to the UART cable you used in the video? I know I can use three standard jumper cables… However, it appeared that the cable you used had a retention clip built into it to keep it from popping out of the RVR’s UART connector.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey ogiewon, after talking to some people at the office I found out that cable was actually custom built in house. I apologize for the confusion, and am hoping that we will be making them available to the public soon. For now, we’re recommending just using the standard female to female jumper cables. You can also custom build a more secure cable with these items from adafruit. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Small Single Row Wire Housing Pack for DIY Jumper Cables

Premium Female/Female Raw Custom Jumper Wires - 40 x 6" (150mm)

3 Likes

@Codeman, no apology necessary. Thank for the links to the Adafruit products. I had never seen these DIY jumper cables before. Pretty cool idea and the price is right.

2 Likes

I’m using a USB to serial converter than ends in those jumpers. Once I plugged it in I put some scotch tape to hold it in place. Then put part of the cable under the board mount and tie wrapped the cable to the rollbard. I’m working from my desktop, right now. Got some of those multi-pin housing but they are all in storage since we’re moving. :crazy_face::crazy_face:

@Codeman - Does Sphero have a tutorial on how to setup and run the NodeJS Server on the RPi? I am using an Raspberry Pi Zero W. I have tried NodeJS 8, 10, and 11 without any luck - and I am guessing at the commands! :wink: I can use a RPi 3 or 4 if that is required.

It appears fromthis video, that Adam Wilson (@IceMupppet) has had this running for ~8 months. Would be great to get this RESTful API up and running.

Thanks!
Dan

1 Like

@Codeman, @IceMupppet

Any updates yet pertaining to the NodeJS server? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hey @ogiewon!

Thanks so much for reaching out about our NodeJS SDK! We are working on a pretty exciting example of how to use the Node and Client SDKs that should be released very soon (just working on some internal vetting :wink:).

I am currently working with the example using Node version 12.8.1 and a Pi 3+. I can do a bit more digging to see if I can get any errors to arise with a lower version of Node or whatnot to find a lower limit :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing what you’re able to do and happy to answer any more questions that you have!

Kelsey

2 Likes

@brightnbubbly - Kelsey,

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if Node 12 might be required… or at least an ARM7 series RPi. The Pi Zero W (ARM6) just seems like such a good low-power choice for RVR, to maximize battery life, however I do not believe Node 12 is supported on ARM6.

I look forward to the guide Sphero is working on.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like