Having trouble getting the python SDK to communicate with the RVR

Hi!

I got an RVR for Christmas and this week decided to get a Raspberry Pi 3 to extend the usability of the RVR.

I’m having problems communicating with the RVR through the SDKs.

I’ve been trying both the Observer and the Async version of the Python SDK and have been trying to run the node.js SDK aswell. Got the node.js SDK up and running on the Pi and the installation of the Python SDK worked out fine aswell.

The problem is, from my understanding, that the RVR is not responding to any of the commands it is given. Looking at the node.js SDK there are print statements when the node.js server is running and taking a quick look at an oscilloscope on the data the Pi sends to the RVR they seem to match but im still not getting any response from the RVR.

Running rvr.wake() through Swagger with the “reponseRequired = true” gives nothing back. Neither does rvr.wake() in any of the two Python verisons.

The only way for me to wake the RVR from its sleep is to power cycle, but even when its not sleeping after a power cycle i cant get echo to respond from the RVR.

The Pi is running with the preconfigured installation image.

Im running out of ideas.

Hi @Numsey,

I’m sorry you’re running into issues with your RVR, let’s see if it’s something simple first.

Have you updated the firmware on your RVR? The firmware that was loaded in the factory has the UART disabled, and you need to update it by connecting it to the Sphero EDU app before it can be used.

Assuming the firmware is up to date, have you double-checked that TX, RX, and GND are correctly connected? RX on the Pi goes to TX on RVR, and vice versa. A separate GND connection to the expansion port is not needed if you are powering the Pi from the RVR USB port.

Let me know how it goes.

-Jim

SPHERO Email Marketing -