Help! Star Wars Droids App not on Google Play

Hello,
The android app for my R2-D2 unit is no longer on the Google Play store. Can you help me please?

Thanks in Advance

Rob

4 Likes

Bump!

Dusted-off myr2 last weekend for son to play with, but no app. When will this be back? Thanks.

3 Likes

It should not have been taken down as far as I know. I will ask someone if there is still a way to get it.

[edit] I have contacted a mod and they let the App team know about the problem. They also confirmed that it was most likely not removed intentionally.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. R2 has plenty of fun left in him, it’s a shame to see him standing dormant!

2 Likes

Even a link to an .apk download would be super helpful!

3 Likes

I also really want the app to return to the store!!
I tried an .APK from a https://apkily.com/droid-inventor, installs fine and starts but it cannot download the ‘expansion pack’, without it the app is useless.

please fix the app!

2 Likes

Please be patient, it was not something Sphero had a say in. There was a mistake in the store. They are aware of it and are currently working on a solution.

@RoadieRob

1 Like

@Emerald_RVR
Any status update about sphero starwars droids app in google store?
I bought a new R2D2 from well know retail shop. How ever couldn’t make the droid work properly. Only sphero edu application is working with the R2D2 but only basic things like movement, not sound, not effects.

1 Like

Just to make sure you know: Both the Sphero Star Wars Droids app AND the LittleBits Droid Inventor app are gone.

I managed to install the Droid Inventor using an xapk I found online, and it lists the w32 controller as a Bluetooth device, but the app doesn’t want to connect

3 Likes

Bumpitty bump bump. This seems to be taking longer than it should for an accidental removal. Is there an official statement from Sphero other than community members assurances? Are we sure the individual who does the actual fixing isn’t on vacation with a full inbox? I really don’t want to miss the window for a return just hoping the app will re-appear. The droids are just paperweights without it.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I also don’t think this should be a huge deal to get it back on the app store. I just bought a BB-8 (which can still work with the older app) but the droids app should at least be available, or an official announcement made if not.

3 Likes

I spoke with Google Play store and they said that there is no current effort as far as they could tell to restore it and that it is on Sphero to submit it. They say they can’t say why it was removed “confidential” but to talk to Sphero. I really wish we could get an honest answer or I am going to have to buy a stupid Apple product just to use these things since the app is up for ios still… or I will have to return them. I have 2 BB9s sitting here waiting to test out and time running out. I also want to buy an R2D2 but at this point it would be an expensive paperweight that looks cool. Come on Sphero, throw us a bone here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YESSS!!! I found an xapk that seems to work so far… Not sure if I can share the link here… :thinking:

Lets give Sphero some time and if all else fails you can try searching or I can give a hint. Probably not ok to post the direct link…

Yep, I’m watching EP 4 with BB-9 right now. He likes Princess Leia. :wink:

3 Likes

I can get the xapk but I don’t want to have my sister in law to have to go to other lengths to figure that out.

Sphero, I don’t know if anyone reads the forum but I can put in a support request if needed.

2 Likes

Which xapk is it? I found one in apkmirror ver. 1.7.2 (29jan.) but it is requiring to download some files after start up the app, however it is failing to connect everytime.

1 Like

I’ll send you the link tonight. I saved the page on home computer.

2 Likes

@hekza33 @Elordais @dherben @medowl @RoadieRob @hoverdonkey

Hope this clears stuff up a bit.

2 Likes

The App for BB8 is still in Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sphero.bb8&hl=es the multidroid app is missing. Which is the one I need for both of my R2s.
Can you post the link you found?

1 Like

So it is starting to make sense… It seems that Google discovered an “issue” with the framework used to build some apps and banned them from the store. It’s not just this Droids app. I am assuming that this app was built with it, and therefore affected. That likely means that the thing has to be rebuilt from the bottom up on an approved framework and since the end product is no longer produced… Sphero might not want to put the time and effort in to fixing it, or if they are fixing it, might not know how long it will take if they are only devoting limited resources towards it. They also may not want to reveal the actual reason as it could cause unnecessary concern from current app users. Some ban-worthy things might be more precautionary than necessary. Maybe its being help up in “legal”. I will give the benefit of the doubt for now, as I understand that there isn’t always a clear answer when dealing with software and deadlines, much less with corporate politics in the mix. There may be a developer slaving away at night on his own time for all we know at this point. If so, may the force be with them. Either way, I have found a workaround while we wait to see if it will officially return. Send me a private message and I will reply with the links you need to bring your droids to life.

4 Likes

This is what I am seeing too. Thank you personally for your help, I will work with my sister in law in April if they haven’t rebuilt the application by then. My thoughts are that Sphero will not want to commit much time to an app for a product no longer made or sold, but I do hope they could provide a generic version of it.

You’re very helpful, btw.

3 Likes