Help! Star Wars Droids App not on Google Play

You’ll find a lot of people like us around here. After all that’s what this community is for. :smile: Just make a post and there will be someone on here with an answer or solution. If not someone will make a solution.

Have a great day.

1 Like

I also just bought an R2D2 Droid and am dissapointed the app is not in the Google play store. I’m really looking forward to playing with this with my son.
I really hope we can get an official app in the store.
Please do Sphero.
Thank you

1 Like

I just joined. How do I direct message you to get the link?

1 Like

Hi Colby-wan,

Would really love if you could send the link to what you’ve found, just bought a bb9e for my son and he’s so excited about it, but didn’t realize I was going to be stuck without an android app

1 Like

Here ya go. Have fun! Tell the kid uncle Kenobi says “use the force… but don’t force it” :wink:

I used the APKPure app to install the Droids XAPK and it works great.

APKPure for Android - APK Download

Download Star Wars Droids App by Sphero 1.7.2 Latest Version XAPK (APK + OBB Data) for Android at APKFab

3 Likes

I can’t seem to get this APK to work. It installs, then I see a Loading screen with a message: This process may take a while. Please be patient. Downloading additional installation files.

I am patient, but it hasn’t changed in hours!

2 Likes

The updates are in the obb file. Try this:

Method 2: Install .XAPK File through File Manager

Step 1: Download the .XAPK file on Android.

Step 2: Locate the .XAPK file and rename the extension to .zip format.

Step 3: Extract the .zip file.

Step 4: Find the .obb file (usually named as “com.xxxxx.obb”) inside the file and copy it into the location: /sdcard/storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/.

Step 5: Install the .apk file and you are ready to run the app on your Android successfully!

3 Likes

Howdy guys I’m new here! I’ve had my bb8 and R2 for. A few years now, decided.to dust them off and have a play with them only to find I can’t find the app for the R2! Can anyone link me the APK? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you look a few posts up you’ll find

And if that does not work then read

1 Like

Thank you I’ll give that a try :grin:

1 Like

Hey there friend, could you kindly please share the link that you found a fix to, its driving me crazy how I cant play with BB9e and R2q5

1 Like

I am sorry if I come off rude, but have you even read the conversation… There are at least 3 posts in this thread explaining what you can to do get your BB8 up and running.

If you look TWO posts up you will see this:

And

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

None taken :grin:, I did found it right after I sent the reply but thank you for the info, I appreciate it so much dude

1 Like

Hey colby,

Just tried both of these and they let me download and launch the app fine, however it gets stuck on a “downloading extra files” screen and won’t budge. Do you know if there’s a fix?

1 Like

The updates are in the obb file. Try this: Method 2: Install .XAPK File through File Manager Step 1: Download the .XAPK file on Android. Step 2: Locate the .XAPK file and rename the extension to .zip format. Step 3: Extract the .zip file. Step 4: Find the .obb file (usually named as “com.xxxxx.obb”) inside the file and copy it into the location: /sdcard/storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/. Step 5: Install the .apk file and you are ready to run the app on your Android successfully!

1 Like

I appreciate your acknowledgement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you very much colby-wan for offering a potential solution!
however, I have tried all the steps and copied the .obb file to the location you specified (both on SD-card and internal storage) to no avail… it keeps giving the “downloading updates” message when I open the app…
any idea what could cause this?

PS I own five seperate Sphero products (BB-9, R2-D2, 2 force bands and a mini) and up until now was a fan of the company. However, not providing users with a functioning app is completely unacceptable. Our bots are potentially junked, and my kids won’t like that one bit. If this isn’t fixed, it’ll definitely be the last time we purchase something else from sphero.

1 Like

I understand the problem, but I believe it it not fair to get mad at Sphero. The app was removed by the Play Store because it was built on an old structure that they felt needed removing. Because of this sphero has to re build the entire app from practically scratch. I understand your frustration, but it pains me to see people losing trust in sphero because of a problem the Play Store themselves created.

Hope you don’t lose faith in them just yet. (From what I’ve seen from my time in this community, Sphero is one of the most customer friendly, and supportive companies I know)

I might try to make a video walkthrough or something and post the link if I get time this weekend.

2 Likes

I can state the colby-wan’s method worked to get the droids app installed on a Kindle Fire, although I think I did a workaround for whatever was needed for the xapk part.

It’s definitely possible to get it working again.

Also, I’ll point out that it they do fix the app, this workaround may not be necessary any longer. My money is not on that happening, just cause they dropped the license.

2 Likes