Hybrid Control

I am trying to determine whether it is possible to have a Sphero device run user code, while ALSO being “driven” by the coder from Sphero App using the “drive” interface.

Example Use Case

Ability to Self Drive RVR running:
On Start Program
Broadcast Communications on Channels 0 and 1

Then set up a Bolt to run
On Start Program
Follow channels 0 and 1

Coder then has the challenge of evading the chasing Bolt.

I can find no where in the documentation, how I might implement this…

Any Ideas?

Thanks in anticipation
Trying to achieve a Happy Christmas Game of RVR Bolt Tag!!!

1 Like

Happy Monday, @adrius42!

That sounds like a lovely thing to do with the grandkids :relaxed:

The first thing that I wanted to note is that you’ll need at least two devices: one to control the RVR and one to control the BOLT. I would imagine there is at least one smart phone in the family?

Have you seen our RVR/BOLT IR sample project? This does require a Raspberry Pi, but I think that may be the only way to control the RVR in real time while also running a program on it… :confused: There are options (in the Communications section of the code blocks in the app) for both following and evading (and broadcasting), so you could have one smart phone connected to the BOLT running the “follow” command and another smart phone connected to the RVR running the “evade” command, if you don’t want to get involved with a Raspberry Pi (which would create a chase, but wouldn’t allow for driving).

Let me know if the Raspberry Pi project might work for you and about any other ideas you come up with for having fun with your RVR and your grandkids :relaxed:

Kelsey

1 Like

Is it possible to ask the engineers to create hybrid control or post the code as a function that would allow the sphero edu app to drive RVRs or Bolts WHILE ALSO running user code.

I now have a herd of Sphero Bolts and the grand children already have asked me to create a Tag app, and “British Bulldogs App” which would require this functionality.

Here’s hoping they prioritise this request as it turns the Bolt & RVR into Hybrid Robots that can use it’s own intelligence as well as being user directed.

I have already mapped out the On Collision function that would detect Bolt to Bolt collision that would have the Free Bolt join the “Bulldogs”.

I am afraid I am not advanced enough to dig down into the Bolts Firmware and fix it myself.

1 Like

Hey @adrius42!

We do have this request from you documented in our “Requests” Sheet :relaxed:

I will reach out to the team directly now to see if I can’t get any feedback on what this might look like and when it might be a possibility!

It would be a lot of fun to create both a “tag” game and a “British Bulldog” game! Tag would be a rough one, but, as it seems you’ve already figured out, the British Bulldog one could be possible right now :slight_smile: The grandkids wouldn’t get to remote-control-ram their bot into a line of other bots, but you could write something where the bot “whose turn it is” is “told to go” by a child giving it a nudge. You could use the “on collision” method in the “Events” section of the app to accomplish this method of initiating movement :slight_smile:

I’ll be sure you’re updated as we know more and hope you’re having fun!!

Kelsey

1 Like