Material of the RVR or surface cutout pattern?

For my project with the RVR I might have to paint it black so it does not reflect light as much as the white material does. So I wonder what material it is made of. Plastic obviously but depending on the type and surface treatment some paints don’t stick or some stick better then others. So can you tell us what material the RVR is made of?

Or probably also interesting for others can you give us a surface cutout pattern of the RVR? Don’t know what CAD program you used to design the casing but most can convert a model to a surface and project that to a 2D plane to create such a pattern. I would put some vinyl foil on it for a less permanent solution, but this might also be very interesting for people who want to design some decals to put on their RVR to personalize them.

1 Like

Hey @RuyLightworks !

The white"ish" chassis pieces are ABS, while the mounting and cover plates are PETG. You probably need to do quite a bit of sanding to get some paint to stick- so I would stick to the vinyl covering.

Let me get back to you about sharing the surface model for you guys! If I were to send it over, what would be a good file format?

Lindsey

2 Likes

Yeah I suspected as much about the materials.

Most common file format for such a thing are vector formats like svg. Can be converted to anything someone needs without loosing precision. Just need to have the dimensions right then, so maybe a vector file and a jpg with dimensions so you can scale the format you need to that.

2 Likes

Would spray paint not work? That stuff can be applied practically anywhere if you get the right kind.

From my point of view, a STEP or Parasolid file formats would be best as those are easy to revise in the CAD software that I use and are easy to convert to DXF or STL formats.

1 Like

For the body that might work since ABS is easier to paint. Depending on the surface treatment most spray paints should stick. But PETG is a whole different matter. Well and it is permanent, so using foil is actually a nicer option.

@MikeH was not talking about full 3d models here. For the mounting plate you can get that on Thingiverse. But was actually just asking for the surface pattern, so the outer surface of the body transformed into a 2d plane. That function is often used for sheet metal production where you have a 3d model and need to know the dimensions and shape of the piece of sheet metal that gets bend/pressed into the 3d shape. Well a DXF would work too since that retains dimensions and everyone can convert it to whatever is needed too.

2 Likes

Hi all-

Best I can do for ya is post up a 3D model of the outer surface on Thingiverse. I will have to defer to you guys in taking that model and flattening it out for a 2D “wrap” if you will

I’ll let you know when we get it up on Thingiverse!

Lindsey

3 Likes

Great. Thought a full 3d model was out of question because as far as I know the RVR is not open source. But that will definitely also help with designing other stuff to have a 3d model of the outer shell.

1 Like