Mounting plate positions

I am trying to fit a Raspberry Pi Zero on the mounting plate but have not found a position so for that lets me use all 4 mounting holes of the Pi Zero. Someone found a position that works?
Well the Pi Zero is not that heavy so probably is enough to use only 3 of the holes, but well would be nice to find the position.

So I think it would also be nice if we can put together some info of mounting different boards to the mounting plate. So if you have out a board on it and found the perfect position how abnout taking a photo and putting it here?

3 Likes

I am ready to mount a Pi 3b to the RVR. I was trying to find an idea position, but was having trouble getting all four mounting holes on the Pi to line up. I guess I will try for a three-point mount and perhaps put a fourth stand-off on the Pi that is not anchored to the plate. I would appreciate seeing pictures of others’ Pi mounting solutions. Perhaps someone skilled at 3d design can create a plate that has some slightly ‘standardized’ hole patterns.

1 Like

Hey @scott_pdp!

Sorry you haven’t found the perfect mounting position for your needs :confused: I’ve been working with a B+, but from what I’ve read, the positions of the holes on the board don’t change between the models; here is what has been working for me:

I hope this helps and can’t wait to see what you create!!

Kelsey

2 Likes

Wow! I missed this completely. Thank you for the images. I will try this when I get home. I’m hoping to try two things. First, I want to see if I can get Wiimote control of the RVR and second, I’d like to start a project with GPS. I have an Adafruit Ultimate GPS breakout that is itchy for a project.

1 Like

You can also put the PI the other way round which might be better cause the USB port and GPIO header is closer to the RVR ports.
Quick photo with just putting the screws through to get an idea where it mounts:

And for Arduinos I found this location. Mega and Due have same screw hole layout so should work the same.

2 Likes

Watch out in positioning for clearance with the roll-bar, if you’re going to use it. Ran into that with my Up Board installation. The USB and Ethernet ports don’t have clearance.

Rud

2 Likes

That’s awesome, @scott_pdp!

You should definitely post your projects on the Show and Tell board when you get them working! (or even before, as you are working through them :relaxed:)

We’ve been playing with connecting drone remotes to the RVR (but are having trouble with getting reproducible results with different models of remotes and, thus, haven’t posted them on the sdk site yet); I bet you can get a Wiimote working :wink:

Hope one of the mounting suggestions above works for your projects and you have a blast implementing them!!

Kelsey

1 Like

I ended up mounting it with the USB ports forward, mostly at this point so that my cabling still looked nice. I shortened a USB cable in the process. So far, I have completed the Keyboard_Control project and am researching the Wiimote control idea. I have a pair of HC SR04 ultrasonic modules to play with as well. As I look at all the things I’d like to try, I’m most wishing that I had a working 3d printer. In any case, lots of fun ahead!

2 Likes

I bought a dollar store cutting board so that i can put the holes wherever i wish.

3 Likes

I think the RVR is backwards. It should be a front wheel drive instead of a rear wheel drive. Then the power and serial port would be in the back of the unit along with the release button. This puts the name squarely in the front while driving forward.

Mike