Power Raspberry Pi 3+ with another power pack

Hi,
Is it OK to power a Raspberry Pi 3+ connected to the RVR using an external power bank? I’m planning to connect the Pi to the RVR using only the serial line. The USB port from the Pi would then connect to an external power pack to draw power from, like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=power+bank&qid=1600466471&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWkxCOFdQSjJHMjRKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTA0NDI4M1I5SkdKUllFTE1DQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzk4MTM4MjBRSzNUWlQ0VFFJQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=.

Regards,
Luiz

Absolutely! The UART allows for each end being on a separate power supply. I’ve powered my Pi with power banks or straight off the wall adapter for development, both allow talking to RVR just fine. In fact, if you add a lot off HATs to your Pi you’ll be forced to add a separate power supply since the RVR can only output around 2.1A which your Pi will use basically all of:

1 Like
SPHERO Email Marketing -