Project Ideas

Hi all. I’m writing an article about project ideas.

What can you guys think of to do with RVR?

2 Likes

How about remote controlling the RVR and getting RVR sensor data over the internet via MQTT? Remote surveillance or garden monitoring rover. This may be a little bigger project than you were looking for. I can see you breaking this down into several small tutorials. i.e. sending RVR sensor data to a MQTT broker, separate xBox Raspberry PI controller to MQTT for driving the RVR, ect… This has been a long time project of mine using traditional RC vehicles. Now that we have the RVR, it is a perfect platform. Think NASA Pathfinder

Another project could be hacking the RVR to enable drive up and charge, wireless charging or solar panel charging. No more removing the battery to charge.

3 Likes

:point_up_2: I like this idea! I was thinking about adding a FPV video camera… Maybe some sort of audio output system to help scare the geese out of my backyard…

How about adding a two way audio system of some sort, to be able to add voice commands via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant? Would also be cool if my home automation system, Hubitat, could send text to speech commands to RVR and have them spoken aloud.

3 Likes

I’ve already made an improvised FPV camera for my RVR from an old drone that can’t fly, and it works quite well. Although because of the need to constantly re-calibrate the RVR it’s a bit hard to drive it out of site.

2 Likes

ogiewon - I am using a $25 WYZE camera for some of my other projects and it works great for streaming video and audio over the internet with very little lag. Love the idea of FVP for driving around in the backyard.

3 Likes

Drive up charging, I wonder if it can do pattern recognition, to see a pattern to drive up & wirelessly charge. Or better yet, I wonder if it can be made to incorporate a tensor flow devise to help with the pattern recognition?

2 Likes

Now I haven’t see a physical RVR yet, but from what I’ve seen I’m pretty sure the only way RVR can be charged is by removing the battery & plugging it in. Perhaps in the next design iteration they’ll include circuitry to make an RVR able to be self charged?

1 Like

The battery uses a normal charger and does not seem to be compatible with wireless charging. This kind of charging would actually not be needed, as it will last long enough for almost anything you use it for. I’ve taken it out for about 3 hours of use and only used around 1/4 of the battery.

1 Like

That is potentially an extremely impressive over all run time, however we as a species wonder & strive. Sphero has created a terrific little dev bot here with RVR, but there are undoubtedly going to be those of us that want to make more with RVR, like create a little robot friend that began as an RVR, kind of like what Sphero is creating & quite effectively accomplishing with Misty II. Only RVR has a considerably lower initial cost to get started building & adding, to create our own little functioning robotic friend, like another company tried to accomplish with Vector, only not effectively enough. A little robotic friend would need to be able to re-charge itself like Misty II & Vector do.

1 Like

Oooh, well I’m not sure, but does the USB port possibly work to charge the RVR? If so that might be the best bet on having it charge itself. You could see if you can somehow make it plug itself in without having to take out the battery. I’ll keep thinking of a way to make this work, but I’m not sure if that will be possible. Obviously you can make an extremely complicated machine to take out the battery, replace it with a spare, and charge the empty battery, but that would require a LOT of work, designing, and basically be a whole new product of its own. I do have some ideas of how it could be built though.

1 Like

Na Emerald, if you look at the design of the battery pack & how it’s inserted into an RVR. There isn’t any plug that gets plugged into battery packs charge port (which is located on the bottom of the battery pack once it’s inserted, & the RVR’s USB port is a power supply for powering attached projects, if you plugged a power supply to the port on top of the RVR you’d most likely release the blue smoke (fry the RVR’s circuit board)

1 Like

Yeah, good point. Then the the only way to have RVR charge itself would be to make something to remove charge and replace its battery…

1 Like

Ya, your talking a complete redesign & reconstruction of the stock battery pack or the construction of a completely new externally rechargeable battery pack while it’s still on board. Hmm, I have an idea but not a RVR to test my theory.
Theoretically, one could either relocate or install a second USB charge port (or other type plug) at the end of the battery pack where the contacts to power the RVR are located. With then a corresponding USB jack (or other type plug) that would be installed in the RVR between the RVR’s battery contacts. The battery pack’s new jack would plug in when the battery pack is inserted. That plug could then go to an inductive charging system that would need to output a regulated 5V supply that would charge the battery pack while still installed in the RVR, just as if the battery pack was removed & charged with a USB cord as it was designed to be.

1 Like

That does sound like a good idea, but since I’m guessing there would be legal issues with that, I was thinking more along the lines of something to remove and charge the battery.
You could make a suction cup to remove the battery, and then replace it with a charged one. It could then plug in the dead one. You could put the whole contraption into a corner and have the RVR go there when the battery runs low. That way you don’t need to buy a bunch of batteries to possibly destroy, and instead you would only need two batteries: one for the RVR and one to have charging and ready to replace.

1 Like

Ya good point, my idea would most definitely completely void the a manufactures warranty. Your idea does sound interesting.

1 Like

Don’t have the RVR here yet, so don’t know how the battery looks. But from what I read there is a charging port on it already? Can’t you put a plug in there and lead some wires below the RVR and put an induction charge loop below the RVR? Not sure if there is enough room in the battery compartment to add a plug and lead wires out there tho.

1 Like

Yup, your right, battery has it’s own micro USB charge port. I haven’t been able to see & handle one either RuyLightworks, but what I’ve been able to see in video’s is that the plug points down when the battery pack is inserted, & I doubt that there would be anywhere near enough room to plug in a USB plug or run wires through an RVR. An RVR seams to be very smartly designed & kid friendly.

1 Like

Your doubt is correct, the battery is very tightly fit into the RVR. I sometimes even have troubles getting it out. Also, the battery has the port in a weird spot, so you could not plug it in while driving.

1 Like