R2-D2 Animations stopping program

I’ve been playing about with the R2 droid for a couple of days and it seems like using the Animation function stops any further code from executing in Edu.

For example the following code just executes the Excited Animation, it doesn’t play the Sad sound or move forward:

async function startProgram() {
	await Animation.R2D2.Positive.Excited.play();
	Sound.R2D2.Sad.play();
	await roll(0, 20, 2)
}

If I comment out the Animation then it plays the sound and moves forward, is there something about the Animation function that I’m missing?

2 Likes

To follow up on this, Customer Service advised me to put in a delay after the Animation line but that doesn’t make any difference.

The code below plays a sound, waits 10 seconds, runs the animation then nothing more.

It seems to me like the Animation function simply ends the program whenever it is used.

async function startProgram() {
	Sound.R2D2.Sad.play();
	await delay(10);
	await Animation.R2D2.Positive.Yes.play();
	await delay(10);
	Sound.R2D2.Sad.play();
}
1 Like

any progress in solution? I have the same problem

1 Like

Hey @ShoryuDan & @JANGER!

I am so sorry you are running into such a frustrating issue :confused:

One thing that I’ve run into recently is that I encounter what you are describing if I try to run a program like that from the Desktop Sphero Edu App, but the same exact program works perfectly well when I run it from my Mobile Sphero Edu App.

I know that coding in JS in the mobile app is minorly tedious, but you can create the program in the Edu app on your computer and run it from the Edu app on your phone until we’ve got this all sorted out :slight_smile: If you make changes to the program on your computer, as long as you are logged in with the same account on both your desktop Edu App and mobile Edu app, you should be able to see and run the updated program in/from your mobile app without issues after a quick “pull refresh” (or navigating away from and back to the programs page, but that is a bit more cumbersome).

So sorry for the less than flawless experience at the moment :confused: We do appreciate you reaching out about it so we can keep trying to provide you with fun and exciting ways to interact with your Sphero bots!!

Thanks so much for including us in your journey; we can’t wait to see where it takes you!

Kelsey

1 Like

Yes, I knew and I use such method, but this is not a fine way.

But I do not want just play fun with simple coding of a few lines only.
Your App Edu is fine for learning, both in Windows and Android version.
But beside fun of learning we want to find some useful opportunities for such toy robots.

2 Likes

Hi Both, I spoke with tech support at Sphero and they have confirmed that this is a bug with the windows application that they will now look to resolve.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

1 Like

Hey @JANGER!

Thank you so much for being willing to work with methods you find less than ideal while we work through this; I am so happy you were even able to discover that that method worked on your own (nice sleuthing!)!

What kinds of ideas do you have, in addition to R2D2 potentially being able to display notifications from other devices? Admittedly, bots like those we produced for the Star Wars movie err more on the side of being novelty toys that have the added bonus of also allowing you to learn to code, but I LOVE your creativity and would love to hear more; maybe you can post some of your ideas in the Show and Tell boards?

If you are looking to take things to the next level, our newest robot, RVR was built specifically for people like you! While we’ve been more focused on grade-school education up to this point (although, I’ve always found our bots to be fun for adults like myself, too!), RVR was built to not only be fun and educational for the younger/less experienced crowd, but to also engage seasoned developers like yourself. It works with the same Edu app as all of our other bots, but we also made it highly expandable so that you can attach different development boards and other toys to it AND we developed 5 new SDKs, just to go with it!! You can check out more of the details on those and some example projects we built using them to get the creative juices flowing on our new SDK site!

While I know it can be a bummer when you feel like you are hitting the limits of the tech you have at hand, we’ve been listening to all of you that learned and grew with us over these past few years and wanted to grow even further with you and develop tech that could keep up with our insanely smart and creative users like you!

I am so looking forward to seeing and hearing about all that you do! Thanks for being a part of our community!

Kelsey

1 Like

@ShoryuDan Did they have an ETA on the bug fix? I have ran into the same problem and while I can easily program on the desktop and run from the phone it’s not my preferred modality. I’m setting up a STEM demonstration and I prefer to use my laptop as the controlling device to make thing simpler. I hope this gets resolved soon. @brightnbubbly If they need volunteer Windows programmers let me know :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry for not replying sooner, they said the new software will be out this year but there wasn’t any specific promise of a fix. I’ve found this bug has made the programming process so cumbersome that I’ve given up on using my droid, it’s just not any fun.

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: I’m in the same boat. I’ve given up programming them for now due to the barrier to entry. I was trying to setup a STEM demonstration, but have since moved to another platform.

1 Like

Running into the same problem. Hope this will get fixed.

1 Like