Remote Learning Sessions

Has anyone tried holding remote (e.g. Zoom, Teams) Learning Sessions or Working Sessions? Where I am, schools are still closed, so I do not want to get the kids together. I am trying to find best practices and tips for conducting these session and still enabling the kids to get something out of it. I was planning on doing the Invention Cycle meeting, but other than having a camera pointed at a working area and asking the kids to direct me on what to do, I am not sure what else would work.

1 Like

@dougseven - Do you have any of the robots/littleBits in students’ hands through a lending library or other means? Or are you trying to find other ways to modify some of the coaches’ guides for students without any of the hardware?

1 Like

Some of the students (9 on the team) have various Sphero and littleBits products (Sphero minis, littleBits droids), but not all students do. I have two RVRs and two Bolts, plus the littleBits RVR Topper kit. This is a Cub Scout group that is doing this as a STEM activity, so we don’t have the same resources as a classroom.

The net-net is that I don’t have enough equipment to lend out so that everyone can use things at the same time. We did the Invention Cycle meeting/project by pointing a camera at a work surface and having my son be the hands for everyone, who shared ideas via Microsoft Teams video call. All-in-all it worked, but we had active participate by 3 students (one of which was my sone doing all the hands-on work) and completely inactive participation from five students (even when called on).

I am struggling to find a way to make this work remotely and get the engagement up, and I am looking for any tips that anyone has.

1 Like

My team is fully remote. I only have 2 kids on my team, and they are working online, while I am on campus teaching with those who want to be there. I dropped off 2 Spheros with each of them, along with various supplies, and we meet every week via Zoom. If I have to leave the meeting early to drive home, I just set one of them as the meeting host, and they continue.

1 Like
SPHERO Email Marketing -