RVR + Arduino Uno Problems getting started

A very basic question here - I’ve loaded the “drive_raw_motors” example from the Sphero Arduino SDK onto an Arduino Uno board, connected the board to the RVR via USB, powered on the RVR, and… nothing happens :slight_smile: What am I missing here? Is the program on the Arduino supposed to execute as soon as the RVR is turned on, or does it need to be started somehow, or what is actually the expected behaviour?. Is the drive_raw_motors example a complete code, or do I need to add some other commands to it, in order for it to elicit a response from the RVR? Thanks!

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I have sent email to support@sphero.com, but no response yet.
I am able to get the same RVR working with a Raspberri Pi, using the UART connector.

Wondering if there’s something wrong with the Arduino support in the current software.

• Wayne Seltzer
    Instructor, University of Colorado, Boulder
1 Like

Good to know. I also emailed them -they didn’t provide any solutions, but suggested I post the question here. I hope that the RVR does really work with the Arduino.

1 Like

Hi @TreeFrog and @wseltzer,

Sorry to hear that you’re running into issues. We have seen problems with longer USB cables and Arduino Uno boards, so if you’re not already using a short cable, that would be a good thing to try. We helped another user work through USB cable issues in this thread.

If shorter cabling doesn’t fix the problem, please post back and we can take some additional troubleshooting steps.

-Jim

1 Like

Hi @Sphero_JimK, thanks for that idea! I am indeed using the rather long cable that came with the Arduino. I’ll try a short one and post the results here soon.

1 Like

I’ll pick up a short USB cable and try.
Though, if the RVR isn’t able to work with normal USB cable lengths, that would be bug.
(The maximum length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters.)

• Wayne
1 Like

Tried a 6" USB cable. No help.
Now what?

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t even get that far. The battery of my RVR won’t charge anymore.

1 Like

I’ve experience the battery problem. There are two buttons on the battery. The big one gives you charge status by turning on the LEDs. The small one is an on button for when the battery is in the RVR. It sticks in the on position which prevents charging. Both my batteries do this. One I was get the switch to pop out by poking it with a unbent paper clip. The other, and I don’t recommend this, I took the tip of a knife blade an gently levered the button out. There is a rubber (or something) cover on the switch so I may have poked a hole in it which is why I don’t recommend this. I didn’t have any fine tipped pliers to try to pull on the switch.

1 Like

rmerriam Are you able to get an Arduino and RVR communicating?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - on my battery the button is not stuck, but I did find that if I press on the back of the battery behind the socket for the charging cable, the battery will charge. Looks like a loose contact. Will be sending it back.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to work with an Arduino.

1 Like