RVR Project: Lasercut Jetson Nano and Realsense Camera Mount

Planning on using the Realsense D435i for some pointcloud mapping! :slight_smile:
Jetson Nano packs a bit more punch to run networks and other tasks.
Anyone managed to get a ROS package together for basic drive controls? I think RVR is the perfect platform for bringing some virtual gazebo ROS projects to life!!

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Slick! I’m headed a similar direction as you, but no camera mount yet. Have you used the USB power from RVR for your setup or do you think you will need additional power for Nano + camera?

2 Likes

Nano should be fine to run off 2.5A with the camera :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have I possibly found another photographer? :grin:

1 Like

update: nano is not fine with the RVR usb as powre sadly. Either my other power supplies are better than 2.5A, or the RVR supply is worse :sweat_smile: With camera attached and a small obstacle or fast turns, the nano shuts down every now and again. Even in 5W mode for some reason :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Are you running any vision processing yet? Nano is 1 to 4A from the specs I saw, and camera can be 500mA to 1A additional. That’s with the RealSense, right? I’m not surprised, but was hoping you would get away with 2.5A. You can wire to the 5V on the serial port and get up to 4A. I saw that somewhere from Sphero. Will need a custom cable or to connect direct from RVR to the IO bus pins though.

1 Like

I’d be careful taking power from USB and the serial port. As I recall they draw from a single source so you can’t get double the power.

2 Likes

Cool, will try it out! There’s lots of cool stuff to do with the real sense cam. Only tried some Yolo and basic mapping. For rtabmap, nano isn’t beefy enough, better to run the mapping on a desktop PC.

1 Like

Correct, you can pull 4A from the serial port 5V, or a combination of 2.5A from the USB port and possibly the rest from the 5V serial port connection, if you had two devices to connect.

Edit: Total limit is 2.1A across both ports, ignore the 4A comment!

1 Like

Let me clarify. From an early response to this question the 2.1 A is shared between the USB and Serial ports. Or, you cannot get more the 2.1 A by combining those outputs.

From Sphero:

Q: What are the current limits on the USB? Does the USB provide a serial connection? Is that how an Arduino communicates with the RVR?

A: The USB provides up to 2.1A, but this power is shared between the USB connector and the 5V expansion port. The USB does provide a serial connection which is how we can communicate with Arduino Uno, and Micro:Bit. Not all versions of Arduino are supported though so make sure to check our website to see what you can use.

@brightnbubbly just posted this Edu link on RVR warnings. It mentions the power limit under the section on eFuse .

3 Likes

Thanks ! Sad news though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, I see the same post, I incorrectly recalled seeing a higher limit available somewhere. Sorry about that!

1 Like

Hi. Could you please post the designs for your laser cut board ? It looks really well put together !

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Got to modify it a bit first, happy to post the design here!
Could also cut it out for you next time. If you’re planning on mounting any particular camera, send me a link and I’ll adjust the mounting holes. Are you using a Jetson nano as well?

2 Likes

Yes, I use a Jetson Nano, and I am using a camera using the CSI connector. I was hoping to use something like this to mount it on the base plate. However I might have to make some modifications to this. I am also open to other ideas on how to better do this.

Thanks for your kind reply. :pray:

1 Like

Nice looking mount. I have a AEEON Up Board and Realsense combo from a few years ago.

The hassle I see is getting the cable from the Reasense to the processor board due to length and stiffness. How are you managing that?

How are you mounting the Realsense? Can’t tell from the photos.

Rud

2 Likes

The realsense is mounted to an acrylic mount with two screws on the backside. Yeah, the original cable is really stiff, but turns out other usb c cables work as well, so I’m using a more flexible one.

2 Likes