RVR started shipping! Newbie saying Hi! -Drop a line and Say Hello!

Just got our RVR in Hong Kong. Looking forward to what we can do with it.

Someone is super Happy!

6 Likes

such a great photo! Hope you have so much fun with your RVR!

1 Like

From Hong Kong as well. Successfully connecting Raspberry Pi 2 to RVR and running the getting started examples after a bit of twist.

3 Likes

Glad to know you got the Raspberry PI connected and working. Still trying to get the code working on mine. Sure wish there was an SD Card image that had everything ready to go.

1 Like

There are some inconsistencies in the document and the Github code, e.g.,:

It is mentioned that Python3.7 is to be used on the following page:

However, on Github code, the “/sphero-sdk-raspberrypi-python/pi_dependencies/pidependencies.sh” file is using Python3.5

3 Likes

1AM here. Just about have RVR working with the Raspberry Pi. Hope I can get it done before I have to head off to bed.

1 Like

Got it working! Many Thanks to Garymok for pointing out the inconsistencies. Kinvert, Hope you are up and running. Love your tutorials.

1 Like

Thanks Missionctrl :slight_smile: I’m just about to have this working I think. Running in to those discrepancies between 3.5 and 3.7, while juggling a 1 year old. We’re publishing our tutorials etc on 10/22 for RVR and will continue after that.

3 Likes

Got mine as a couple of days back. Any idea when is the arduino documentation available and if it may work with particle photon products? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey @sarit!

We haven’t personally worked with the Particle Photon Products, but one of the reasons that the Arduino model we support is the UNO is that we had issues with the USB stack compatibility, so we went with the UNO, specifically, as it is the most prevalently used at this time. For those who would like to complete more complex tasks than the Arduino UNO is capable of supporting, we’ve been recommending people utilize the Raspberry Pi.

With all of that being said, we can’t guarantee that the Arduino SDK will work with a Particle Photon Product, however, you should be able to use our API to work with most any board of your choosing (provided it doesn’t require more power/current OR different ports than RVR provides).

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with RVR!

Kelsey

1 Like

Hmmmm…:thinking: This may be true in the world of education…but I don’t believe most users these days see the UNO as being too useful with its very limited 2KB RAM, and lack of built-in network connectivity. Arduino.cc is not putting any development into the old UNO/MEGA AVR boards any longer.

All development is focused on their newer Nano33 and MKR1010 series of boards. These are much smaller, have onboard WiFi, and are 3.3V parts, instead of the UNO’s 5V GPIO. They also have onboard USB for power/communications. And let’s not forget the very successful Espressif ESP8266 and ESP32 platforms with are also Arduino IDE compatible.

Hopefully Sphero with greatly expand its Arduino platform support, as I believe these boards have much to offer in terms of expanding the RVR’s capabilities. They also sip power compared to a Raspberry Pi, and are trivial to set up.

2 Likes