RVR USB Serial Communication

I am working on a desktop WiFi to RVR setup using an ESP32 from Sparkfun. The network connection from the desktop to the USB port on the ESP board is working okay. I can send RVR requests via the ESP to a desktop serial terminal (CuteCom). The values in hex are the expected values.

I can also send via PuTTy messages over the WiFi and see them in the serial terminal. So bi-directional traffic is working.

When I connect the ESP to the RVR USB port it powers on and accepts the network connection and commands. But the RVR is not responding.

Does the RVR USB allow communications? It would seem so given directions for MicroBit usage.

Is there a special setup for USB serial communications? I’m using the 115200 used by the serial port.

1 Like

Hi Rud,

RVR acts as a USB host and supports USB CDC USB-serial peripherals. Other types of USB-serial interfaces such as FTDI, CH340, CP210x, etc all require separate drivers that we have not implemented. Let me know if you have other questions.

Jim

1 Like

I’m not sure wheat you mean by drivers.

I have an Arduino ESP32 connected to the RVR USB port. My message path is:

PC <==> WiFi <==> ESP32(WiFi) <==> ESP32 (USB main Serial port) <==> RVR USB

When I do the following path:

PC <==> WiFi <==> ESP32(WiFi) <==> ESP32 (USB main Serial port) <==> PC USB <==> CuteCom

The message from the PC are appearing in CureCom as hex digits with the values as expected. So the ESP32 is receiving the messages and sending them out its USB console port.

Is the baud rate on the RVR USB port 115200?

Are there any tricks with the protocol, like the source field, I can try to get a message to go from the RVR USB to the RVR serial port?

Guess my next step is to try some commands direct from the ESP32. Other option is to use a different ESP32 serial port to the RVR serial port.

1 Like

Hi… The GPIO sequential port gadget ID is/dev/ttyAMA0, it is 3.3 VDC gadget and necessities a voltage converter to be a genuine RS-232 sequential port and should be empowered. Since it is a control center port once empowered framework messages will be sent which may confound the robot and a USB sequential port connector would be a superior decision. Their gadget ID is regularly ttyUSB0 or ttyACM0 relying upon its chipset.

Got is working using a serial port on the ESP32. Details to follow on my GitLab repos.

1 Like
SPHERO Email Marketing -