RVR with Nvidia Jetson Nano?

Hi there, I’ve tried using the Raspberrypi SDK with RVR without success. So far only changed the UART port in serial_async_dal.py to /dev/ttyTHS1 according to the Jetson J41 pinout, but couldn’t get any reaction with the keyboard teleop example.

Anyone who tried, would love your input!

1 Like

Very interesting board. I might have to get me one of those.

That’s all I did to get it to work on my windows desktop. Used com3 instead of your device.

Mike

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the example you mention, but the all_led and a couple other led examples I tried worked fine with the Jetson after making the serial port change you mention. Do you see any errors when running the script? How are you connecting the serial port?

You can see other comments I made here: CMS Response Error? /Jetson Nano porting

2 Likes

I’ve followed the raspberrypi getting started tutorial. Ran the drive_with_wasd.py in examples. Changed serial port in both serial_observer_dal.py and serial_async_dal.py. When running sudo python drive_with_wasd.py, I’m missing aiohttp module, even though when it shows as installed when running pip install aiohttp (pipenv is activated for python3.6).
When running it with sudo python3 drive_with_wasd.py I at least get a brief response (something like checking rvr version…), followed by several asyncio futures.timeout() messages in different py scripts… Googled the errors, but no success so far…

Have you been able to get any driving scripts running?

1 Like

Very interested, i dont have a jetson nano, yet, but maybe santa brings one for the kids.

:grinning:

3 Likes

Okay, got the RVR working on Jetson Nano
Learnings:
-Update RVR firmware through Smartphone App, or the UART connection throws a timeout error
-If pipenv install throws errors with cffi and cryptography package:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev
-Somehow the activated pipenv with python 3.6 doesn’t automatically use python3, so call the scripts with python3 example.py

3 Likes

Hi @PeterBrotzahl

I think you need to disable the tts on tsh1

1 Like

Hi @PeterBrotzahl,

I was trying to run the python code inside a beaglebone green wireless.
I had to do some changes in the beagle bone overlay to enable the UART’s and after that, i tried to run directly from the console with native and I was having the same timeout issue, after installing the pipenv and some adjustments on the dependencies and the serial port (beaglebone uses ttyOX - 0 to 5) I could run without problems .
I’m not a python expert but is intriguing for me this behavior.
I will do some tests with jetson too and yolo and lidar.

best regards.

1 Like

Awesome! Yolo tiny runs nicely on jets on nano at 28fps. Make sure to use 5W mode mine died at 10W with Yolo running due to power supply drops. I‘be used Yolo through the new open version cuda_dnn setup. Also works nicely with ROS via cv_bridge.

The rvr now runs nicely with jetson nano by using the jetson serial port in the SDK (change two instances) and making sure the rvr firmware was up to date (through sphero phone app)

1 Like

hi @PeterBrotzahl

here rvr is running nicely with beaglebone green wireless (https://www.seeedstudio.com/BeagleBone-Green-Wireless-Development-Board-TI-AM335x-WiFi-BT.html). My first prototype is a simple autonomous driving system with colision detection using a TFMini Lidar and I’m very satisfied with the results (the lidar has some disadvantages when comparing to ultrasonic rangefinders - how it uses infrared light some black obstacle are not detected, the angle detection is just 2.3 degrees, but regarding this, everything is working really fine), next is time to go with jetson :smiley:
regards.

2 Likes