Sphero Bolt Disconnecting

Hi,

I recently purchased two Sphero Bolts for Christmas presents and am encountering connection dropouts. I have detailed below the issues and what I have tried.

Issue:

• both Sphero Bolts’ connect to iOS devices and operate normally for a random amount of time but generally no longer than about 2 minutes until they will disconnect and get an error message saying:

“Bluetooth disabled: Please turn on Bluetooth to connect to a robot”

If I am quick I can swap apps to the iOS Setting/Bluetooth page and see that the Bluetooth switch has turned itself off and then turns back on again.

Troubleshooting:

Did not work:

• have tried on 2 different iPhones and 2 different iPads running iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.2

• have tried in different houses to rule out house specific interference

• have tried turning one Sphero completely off and just connecting one at a time to rule out inter-sphero interference

• have tried turning Bluetooth off and on again on each iOS device, and have also restarted those devices with a hard reset.

• not experiencing any bluetooth connection difficulties with other devices such as Apple Watch or portable bluetooth speakers.

• have force updated the firmware on Sphero Bolt to firmware version 4.2.41, 4.2.44

Did work:

• I have tried them on a Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.1 and both appear to work fine and have not yet experienced any dropouts.

It would seem like I am having a problem with just iOS and iPadOS 14 and the Sphero. Is this a problem anyone else has seen before or any ideas on what to try next as obviously carting around a laptop to play with them is more of a hassle than operating them with an iPhone.

I have emailed support on Jan 3rd but no reply as yet, so hoping for some help here.

1 Like

I am having the same issue in my classroom with my Power Pack and student iPads. It seems to be an iOS/iPad OS 14 issue.

At least I know it’s not just me. Hopefully the devs work out a fix soon!

SPHERO Email Marketing -