Sphero depleted battery life

So I bought the Sphero 2.0 for my birthday some time back in 2014. It’s now 2019, and my interest for this fun little dude I had for a long time now sparked up seemingly out of nowhere. So I got it out and put it on the charger for the first time in a while.
Here’s the biggest problem however; when I first got the Sphero, I didn’t know it was necessary for it to keep a charge at all times, and now it is stuck with no charge. Some time ago, possibly 2015, I tried different ways to charge it, but I had no luck. I don’t want to pronounce it dead yet, because I recall there being different methods of turning it back on. Unfortunately, I have not found them yet, which is why I am messaging here now.
Is there any way to turn it back on after not using it for a very long time? If so, how would I go about doing it? Are there any links that I might’ve missed? To note, I did consult the official support page, but I didn’t find what I was looking for. Maybe there was something I missed, and if so, can I be linked to it?
Thank you all for reading and have a good day!

1 Like

Hey @XSHIRT!

I am delighted to hear that your Sphero has piqued your interest again :relaxed:

I would love to try to help you get up and running again quickly! Our support team may have some more insights than I (you can email them at support@sphero.com), but a few questions I have are:

Does the base recognize that the Sphero has been placed on it (is there a blue light on the base at any point?)?
Does your Sphero light up at all? or is it completely unresponsive?
Did you try placing the Sphero on a flat surface to find the “absolute bottom” and then placing it on the charger in that position, to make sure that the charge receptor is closest to the charger? I’ve found that doing so helps kickstart things a bit…
Is there a cover on your Sphero, or are you placing it on the charger without anything that could be inhibiting the charge?
Have you tried pressing the button on the charger? Does it light up at all then? Have you tried doing so after making sure that the Sphero is sitting just right in it’s cradle?

Sorry I didn’t have a specific, immediate answer, but I am hoping that one of these nuances might help jumpstart things and get you back to being able to play with your Sphero. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again here (or to support :slight_smile: ) if you need anything else or have fun ideas or stories!

Kelsey

1 Like

No problem, either way I am glad that I got a response. I’ll go about explaining my process piece by piece.
First and foremost, there are no covers on the sphero, nor is there anything obscuring the connection between the base and the sphero. Each time I did put it on the base, it was always the heaviest side facing the charger, and it did recognize that the sphero was in. The charger does light up; it keeps flashing blue, and pressing the button at all sort of just stops the light from flashing until it’s let go, and nothing seemingly happens after it’s released. All-in-all, there has been no response from the sphero: no lights, no movement, nothing.
I hope this information helps, and thanks again for responding!

1 Like

Hey @XSHIRT!

I am going to send you a private message to see if we can’t get this sorted out :relaxed:

Kelsey

1 Like

Good Morning @XSHIRT!

I just wanted to check in with you to see how things are going with your Sphero? Let me know if you need any more help :relaxed:

Kelsey

1 Like