Virtual RVR / Simulation

Might be a long shot, but is there something like this already there or maybe planned in the future?
It would be nice when developing to have some way to simulate an RVR so you don’t need one connected all the time. Would make developing software and other stuff much easier and maybe prevent a few crashes into walls or down a table :wink:

2 Likes

Great idea. I was just thinking the same thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @RuyLightworks and @pabt1!

You raise an excellent point :wink:

I don’t know of there being a simulator in the works, but, internally, to prevent running off of tables or crashing into walls, we place the RVRs on boxes that are narrower than the body of the RVR. The box for the Sparkfun Inventors Kit is an excellent option:

I hope this helps!

Kelsey

1 Like

Yes that works to see if the commands work at all. But to see some more complex stuff and control how it behaves that is not enough.
Thought about a small little app or program that simulates an RVR. So it replies correctly to the API calls and has a simple interface to check data from the simulation. Does not need to be something big or extensively, maybe have a communication log, some simple values like position and sensor readings that you can manipulate and nice would be a small graphical 2d display of how the simulated RVR moves.
Something simple like the old Logo programming language would be enough for that display.

1 Like

@RuyLightworks I really like that idea!

I recorded it in our list of requests upon your initial message, but this flushing out of the concept is incredibly helpful in us understanding what the goals of said simulator would be.

Thank you so much for reaching out about it :smiley:

Kelsey

1 Like

Great to hear.
Might also consider simulating some of the sensor data. You had a representation video about color sensor, so that would be a nice case for this. Have a simulation running then send data that sensor registers a certain color and see how the code runs from there.
Many IDEs have such a thing to test some code. Like virtual mobile devices and such.

2 Likes

The spare treads work, also.

Rud

4 Likes

They point would be to not have an RVR connected at all :wink:

2 Likes